[Bitcoin-segwit2x] Strong 2-Way Replay Protection

Mike Belshe mike at bitgo.com
Mon Oct 9 03:38:56 UTC 2017

On Sun, Oct 8, 2017 at 5:56 PM, Chris Stewart via Bitcoin-segwit2x <
bitcoin-segwit2x at lists.linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

> So just so this is clear to the rest of the world, Segwit2x believes there
> will be no chain split?

No.

Although the design goal was to not create a split, that doesn't mean that
there won't be one. Since you can never get 100.000% agreement, I suppose
you could say that means there must be a split - the question is just how
big.

>From the beginning, the segwit2x crew tried to garner as much support as
possible and make the code as simple and unobtrusive as possible. They
certainly accomplished a lot - getting more miner support than ever in
history, and getting segwit itself activated.  With regard to the 2MB
upgrade, it does seem that many are against it.  But if you look at the
node counts of SPV and full nodes, its easy to see that this group is
incredibly small - likely 0.5% or less of all deployed wallets.

On the other hand, adding "replay protection" and orphaning the SPV wallets
would clearly create a massive chain split.

Mike

> -Chris
>
> On Sun, Oct 8, 2017 at 5:57 PM, bitPico <bitpico at icloud.com> wrote:
>
>> https://blockchain.info/charts/nya-support
>>
>> ~95-96%
>>
>> Do the math on how long it would take to solve a 1x (deprecated) block
>> with only 4-5% network hash power.
>>
>> There is no HACK in place to drop the difficulty either so it’s a dead
>> blockchain. :-)
>>
>> On Oct 8, 2017, at 6:46 PM, Chris Stewart via Bitcoin-segwit2x <
>> bitcoin-segwit2x at lists.linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
>>
>> So just to be clear, segwit2x no longer believes there will not be a
>> chain split come November?
>>
>> -Chris

*Mike Belshe*
*CEO, BitGo, Inc*408-718-6885