[Bitcoin-segwit2x] Strong 2-Way Replay Protection

Marcel Jamin marcel at jamin.net
Mon Oct 9 08:46:33 UTC 2017

On 9 October 2017 at 05:46, Mike Belshe via Bitcoin-segwit2x
<bitcoin-segwit2x at lists.linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

> BitGo serves its customers; we'll handle both chains.
> I still hope everyone decides to vote for bigger blocks - its taken a long
> time to get here, and we have a great opportunity!

The block limit effectively doubled recently. You say that's because
of the NYA, others say it's because of the UASF ultimatum. Personally
I believe the pro-hardfork side saw a chance to get their pound of
flesh with the NYA and BIP91 caught them by surprise. But the UASF
deadline provided the pressure.

In any case, it already doubled and you want to double it *again*.

> No reason to support two chains except pride.

The new chain will be run by a forked off client maintained by a new
and much smaller set of developers willing to give in to business (and
presumably government) pressure.

The original chain will keep the most if not all of the developer
talent that helped bitcoin flourish over the past years and follow a
more rational and less political approach to decision making.

I see plenty of reason to support the original chain and can't fathom
how anyone (except some CEOs perhaps) would value the former higher
than the latter. Early results on Bitfinex tend to agree with me here.
This valuation will be an issue for you and the mining support you
currently think you have. Understand that hashpower is a value add,
not the core value proposition. Even with 1000x the hashpower, there's
nothing secure about a corporately run version of bitcoin.

- Marcel