[Bitcoin-segwit2x] Strong 2-Way Replay Protection

Mike Belshe mike at bitgo.com
Mon Oct 9 20:27:05 UTC 2017

Thanks for the lengthy reply.  Your argument can go both ways; why not
support this 2mb block size increase?  The risk has already been mitigated
- miners will adopt it, businesses will support it, and its compatible with
99.5% of existing wallets. Now, if the core team would start trying to help
it work, instead of fighting it for pride and emotional reasons, we'd even
have all the developer support behind it....   There are no technical
arguments remaining against it - just lengthy prose about misunderstandings
and what not.

You imply that planning for growth/scalability has a correlated risk of
destabilization that accompanies it.  If we took that as our guiding
principle, we wouldn't implement segwit either.  Sure, segwit is opt-in at
the user level, but its not opt-in at the chain level - we all are
dependent on it working properly or the chain which we share breaks for all
of us. The 2x part of Segwit2x is, by any measure, a simpler technical
change.   I would never say that changes carry no risk, but as far as risk
goes, this one is really small.

It's a good opportunity now to just move to 2mb blocks, and there are
literally no technical objections left.

Mike

*Mike Belshe*
*CEO, BitGo, Inc*408-718-6885