[Bitcoin-segwit2x] Strong 2-Way Replay Protection

Melvin Carvalho melvincarvalho at gmail.com
Tue Oct 10 01:52:46 UTC 2017

On 9 October 2017 at 22:27, Mike Belshe via Bitcoin-segwit2x <
bitcoin-segwit2x at lists.linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

> Thanks for the lengthy reply.  Your argument can go both ways; why not
> support this 2mb block size increase?  The risk has already been mitigated
> - miners will adopt it, businesses will support it, and its compatible with
> 99.5% of existing wallets. Now, if the core team would start trying to help
> it work, instead of fighting it for pride and emotional reasons, we'd even
> have all the developer support behind it....   There are no technical
> arguments remaining against it - just lengthy prose about misunderstandings
> and what not.
>
> You imply that planning for growth/scalability has a correlated risk of
> destabilization that accompanies it.  If we took that as our guiding
> principle, we wouldn't implement segwit either.  Sure, segwit is opt-in at
> the user level, but its not opt-in at the chain level - we all are
> dependent on it working properly or the chain which we share breaks for all
> of us. The 2x part of Segwit2x is, by any measure, a simpler technical
> change.   I would never say that changes carry no risk, but as far as risk
> goes, this one is really small.
>
> It's a good opportunity now to just move to 2mb blocks, and there are
> literally no technical objections left.

Thanks for the insight

There are technical arguments surrounding the argument of increasing the
block size from "1MB" to "2MB", as such.

These, imho, were well articulated by adam back at in his talk this weekend
at the hcpp hackers congress [1].  I did raise a question on this topic at
th end,

We can scale highly if we used a central mint to solve double spend.

Somewhere between 2 nodes and billions of nodes lies a sweet spot that
offers the utility of trade, in combination with the defense of
corruptibility.

I think the consensus in core is to increase block size in a practical way
with storage (ie moore's law).

This whole problem is a timing question (assuming we stick with proof of
work) and it also involves social issues.

Why dont we just agree the expert consensus is to increase capacity, but
that the timeline for that is not yet agreed.

Heavy handed techniques are likely to be counter productive, when
essentially most parties are in agreement.

[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmSuxqaKR2U