[Bitcoin-segwit2x] Strong 2-Way Replay Protection

hubert maslin hubert.maslin at gmail.com
Tue Oct 10 09:32:20 UTC 2017

I get your frustration that the ecosystem resists a lot to something that's
a no-brainer upgrade for you, but this resistance is a feature, not a bug,
and in my opinion Segwit2X was the wrong vehicle to achieve an upgrade of
this kind from the beginning.

Bitcoin is not an enterprise database that your supplier can upgrade in a
week, it's a *shared* global decentralised ledger, it's an infrastructure
used by millions (and hopefully billions in the future) of people who all
have their own reasons to use it and their own preferences. It's to be
expected by upgrading such a thing will be a long and contentious process.

If you want the support of developers, investors and power users, you have
to make this 2X base block size (now block weight) increase palatable to
them, by asking them whether they might to see some other changes bundled
with it, and also by having enough time to develop, test and deploy the
fork (for example 6 months for development/testing and a year for
deployment). Replay protection is also a must, so that those whose wishes
haven't been fulfilled by the fork can easily stay on their chain, without
feeling like they're marginalised, or held hostages.

I know this isn't a psychology or anthropology mailing list, but I'd like
to make a point about human nature, that explains why debates get so heated
so easily.
People don't like to back down to so much as the smallest slights or
disrespect, because of the implicit assumption that such a retreat would
only lead to greater agression or disrespect in the future - this is why
violent conflicts often arise from seemingly benign squabbles. This
assumption is literally built in us; it's a by-product of our evolution,
because those humans who reacted to threats of agression instead of waiting
for an actual agression to take place might have had better odds of
survival. Suppose that we do as you wish and agree on this fork: what tells
us that a year from now some other group of CEOs will not come up with a
perfectly valid reason to implement address blacklisting at the protocol
level, or change Bitcoin's inflation schedule? Having backed down to the
November 2017 2X hard fork would make it harder for us to resist the ones
to come.
The fact that we mistrust people whose objectives and group membership
differ from ours is a truth as fundamental as the fact that we breathe, eat
or drink. To disarm this natural mistrust, the process that leads to the
definition and implementation of the fork has to be as inclusive,
egalitarian and open as possible, so that all voices can be heard. The
process might actually matters even more than its own product - the fork
design - because the process itself is an expression of the balance of
economic power among the different stakeholders; and it would be dangerous
to artificially sway this balance through manipulation, disinformation or
outrage.

You refer to the risk of the hard fork being small. But focusing on pure
technical risks misses the point: the main risk of this fork (and the main
reason why so many of us are opposed to it) is the fact that it opens the
door to further contentious changes in the future. There's an element of
recursion here - the fork is contentious because it sets a bad precedent of
a contentious change having been made -  and that's because the design
process it stems from wasn't open and collaborative.

You can't get together at a private meeting (from what I've understood,
developers other than those closely affiliated to you weren't invited),
agree among yourselves to redesign Bitcoin and expect other stakeholders to
follow you. It's sad that Segwit2X chose that path, because many early
adopters and investors are realistic and understand that a block weight
increase will very likely be needed in the future, because even if we could
get a large part of the bitcoin economy to use paiement channels, we would
still have to have enough room to settle them.

I'm afraid it's too late to call off the fork, as you've all already
invested so much time and energy in it. I think (and hope) that the fork
will fail, and that the B2X chain will never gain any significant economic
value - precisely because it would be so vulnerable to arbitrary changes in
consensus rules from external actors.

In any case I hope that the next iterations of the scaling debate will be
more open and collaborative, and see cool heads prevail.

Cheers.
Hubert