[Bitcoin-segwit2x] Strong 2-Way Replay Protection

Jeff Garzik jeff at bloq.com
Tue Oct 10 14:11:49 UTC 2017

All,

This is not an extension of social media.  This is a technical mailing list
for discussions related to segwit2x.

It is self-evident that (1) _not_ upgrading past 1M base block size has
been contentious and does not have consensus, and (2) the segwit-only path
did not have consensus.  segwit2x solves these problems.

If there are technical suggestions, please send a technically-specific
email or file a PR at github.

Thanks.

On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 10:03 AM, Jameson Lopp via Bitcoin-segwit2x <
bitcoin-segwit2x at lists.linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 5:50 AM, Tom Zander via Bitcoin-segwit2x <
> bitcoin-segwit2x at lists.linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
>
>> On Sunday, 8 October 2017 23:38:50 CEST Alex Bosworth via Bitcoin-segwit2x
>> wrote:
>> > The Bitcoin Core process is quite unrelated to this question. Regardless
>> > of which code they do or do not merge into their repositories, it is the
>> > existing set of nodes with the existing set of software that is the
>> > question.
>>
>> The vast majority of people use either SPV wallets or online wallets.
>> They will just follow the longest chain.
>>
>> I’d like to point out that the only people that will have to upgrade are
>> the
>> people that run a Bitcoin Core node while they are not miners etc.
>> Those individuals are doing it wrong anyway.
>>
>> Instead of badgering the SegWit-workgroup, I think a much higher rate of
>> benefit can be reached by educating the people that run full nodes and
>> explaining how they are not in actual fact helping the network.
>> The simple fact is that if they didn’t run those nodes, this whole
>> discussion would not exist.
>>
>> If you want to redesign the system to force everyone into a weaker
> security model, you could do a LOT better to make it simpler and more
> efficient while you're at it.
>
> Yes, user sovereignty is a huge inconvenience to those who wish to push a
> contentious proposal. That's the whole point. You're free to create a new
> system without it, but I suspect you won't have much success convincing
> users who value financial sovereignty to voluntarily give it up.
>
>> --
>> Tom Zander
>> Blog: https://zander.github.io
>> Vlog: https://vimeo.com/channels/tomscryptochannel