[Bitcoin-segwit2x] F2Pool backing out of NYA - Fork still happening?

Ben Peters ben at bitso.com
Sat Oct 14 00:20:56 UTC 2017

I think there is a fundamental misunderstanding about the nature of the NYA/Segwit2x endeavour. What is happening here is that an alternative, minimally modified, version of the Bitcoin code is being developed that will implement a change that has long been sought by the mining community and many in industry and beyond (a change that they presumably feel is important for the future success of Bitcoin and thus their respective investments).

That candidate code will be offered to the miners and mining pools, who may or may not opt to apply hashing power to it. If they apply more than the threshold amount of hashing power, then that new code will effectively takeover from the previous consensus rule, and take most SPV wallets and economic activity along with it.

Rather than lobbying this technical working group to “call off” their efforts, your time might be better spent lobbying the miners. The function of this group is to produce candidate code, thus fulfilling the obligations as set out under the NYA.