[Bitcoin-segwit2x] PROPOSAL: B0RG (Bitcoin zero replay, guarantee) - Ensuring a smooth 2X upgrade without a chain split

Jacob Eliosoff jacob.eliosoff at gmail.com
Tue Oct 24 20:09:18 UTC 2017

The easiest way to think about this is, difficulty is a measure of how long
your rig takes to mine a block, and until the first difficulty
adjustment, *both
chains will have identical difficulty!*  Each will take equally long to
mine.  So *regardless* of overall hashrate split, a miner's short-term
incentive is to just mine the coin with the higher price.

In the longer run, difficulty will adjust so that each chain is producing
10-minute blocks, and the steady state will be where hashrate ratio follows
price ratio.  Eg, if B1X price stays 4x B2X, then the short-term-incentive
steady state will be where B1X has 4x the difficulty and 80% of hashrate:
ie, "mining B1X is a lottery you win 4x less often, with a prize 4x as
valuable."

But immediately post-split, short-term incentives may not dominate.  Many
miners don't sell immediately, so long-term price will influence them too.
This could benefit either B2X, if low tx rate/high fees make B1X unusable
and users shift to B2X; or B1X, if miners foresee B1X's price rising when
it makes it to the difficulty adjustment(s) & becomes usable again.  As
Adam said, higher tx fees may also give B1X an edge with miners (if people
are sending...).

In short, I think people overstate the short-term incentives - many miners
are in this for the long haul - but the post-split short-term incentive is
simple and *independent* of hashrate distribution: just mine the coin with
the higher price.