[Bitcoin-segwit2x] September/October SegWit2x Status Update

Jeff Garzik jeff at bloq.com
Wed Oct 25 17:54:10 UTC 2017

Hi all!

This is a follow-on from the previous status update in August:
https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/bitcoin-segwit2x/2017-August/000265.html

1. To state the obvious, everything is still full steam ahead for segwit2x
upgrade in mid-November.

2. As noted in August, the project continues to be in a code freeze for the
fork:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeze_(software_engineering)   Only
changes or fixes thought to be important pre-fork will be included.

3. Reviewing the btc1 project and branch policies, btc1 is a source code
fork of Bitcoin Core, very much like Fedora Linux is a fork/distribution
intended for end users.  As such, we track Bitcoin Core updates as
necessary and pull those into the project.

4. "segwit2x" is the production release branch for the SegWit2x Working
Group, and the latest release can be downloaded here:
https://github.com/btc1/bitcoin/releases/tag/v1.14.5

5. "segwit2x-dev" is the development and testing release branch.  New
changes go to segwit2x-dev first, for external testing and feedback, before
being merged into the production branch, and labelled a production release.

6. The current segwit2x production release, on the segwit2x branch, is
based on Bitcoin Core 0.14.x.   The current dev release is based on Bitcoin
Core 0.15.x.

7. I've been paying close attention to the Bitcoin Core 0.15.x rollout.
 Based on instability and bugs that upstream Bitcoin Core project is seeing
- ie. Core's bugs not ours - segwit2x will stay on Bitcoin Core 0.14.x
through the November fork.  This is the most stable path for users, based
on upstream Bitcoin Core instability.

In short we -do not- feel that Bitcoin Core bugs and instability will
impact our project in the short term, because this is not yet in a segwit2x
production release on a production branch.

8. The only change worth noting is a likely be an adjustment of miner
policy defaults that will be accepted through the code freeze:
https://github.com/btc1/bitcoin/pull/136

Thanks everyone!

--
Jeff Garzik