[Bitcoin-segwit2x] September/October SegWit2x Status Update

Melvin Carvalho melvincarvalho at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 18:19:31 UTC 2017

On 25 October 2017 at 19:54, Jeff Garzik via Bitcoin-segwit2x <
bitcoin-segwit2x at lists.linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> This is a follow-on from the previous status update in August:
> https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/bitcoin-segwit2x/2017-August/
> 000265.html
>
> 1. To state the obvious, everything is still full steam ahead for segwit2x
> upgrade in mid-November.
>
> 2. As noted in August, the project continues to be in a code freeze for
> the fork:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeze_(software_engineering)
> Only changes or fixes thought to be important pre-fork will be included.
>
> 3. Reviewing the btc1 project and branch policies, btc1 is a source code
> fork of Bitcoin Core, very much like Fedora Linux is a fork/distribution
> intended for end users.  As such, we track Bitcoin Core updates as
> necessary and pull those into the project.
>
> 4. "segwit2x" is the production release branch for the SegWit2x Working
> Group, and the latest release can be downloaded here:
> https://github.com/btc1/bitcoin/releases/tag/v1.14.5
>
> 5. "segwit2x-dev" is the development and testing release branch.  New
> changes go to segwit2x-dev first, for external testing and feedback, before
> being merged into the production branch, and labelled a production release.
>
> 6. The current segwit2x production release, on the segwit2x branch, is
> based on Bitcoin Core 0.14.x.   The current dev release is based on Bitcoin
> Core 0.15.x.
>
> 7. I've been paying close attention to the Bitcoin Core 0.15.x rollout.
>  Based on instability and bugs that upstream Bitcoin Core project is seeing
> - ie. Core's bugs not ours - segwit2x will stay on Bitcoin Core 0.14.x
> through the November fork.  This is the most stable path for users, based
> on upstream Bitcoin Core instability.
>
> In short we -do not- feel that Bitcoin Core bugs and instability will
> impact our project in the short term, because this is not yet in a segwit2x
> production release on a production branch.
>
> 8. The only change worth noting is a likely be an adjustment of miner
> policy defaults that will be accepted through the code freeze:
> https://github.com/btc1/bitcoin/pull/136
>
> Thanks everyone!

Thanks for the update.

There was a question on a previous thread that I think went unanswered.

Is the threshold for release still 80% miner signaling?

If miner signaling for NYA falls significantly, would it be considered new
information?

FYI: latest metric is NYA signaling at 75% in the last 24h [1], with the
position of ViaBTC still unclear

[1] https://coin.dance/blocks