[Bitcoin-segwit2x] September/October SegWit2x Status Update

Jeff Garzik jeff at bloq.com
Wed Oct 25 19:53:12 UTC 2017

Alex,

The plan was already stated in the thread.  This is a well defined open
source pattern and situation.  btc1 will continue as a sort of Fedora for
Bitcoin after the fork.

It is irrelevant whether or not Bitcoin Core merges patches such as the 2X
patches.  The codebase remains 99% the same either way.

That is what Fedora does on Linux:   Carry patches that haven't made their
way upstream.   Either the upstream developers merge or they don't; either
way, the project continues.

Consider reviewing another example from open source history, the GCC vs.
EGCS situation.  https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/History#EGCS

Jeff Garzik
CEO and Co Founder
Bloq, Inc.