[Bridge] br: memory squeeze!

TC Hough tchough at austin.rr.com
Wed Apr 21 10:00:07 PDT 2004

I set up a bridge for my network and I'm having some trouble.  At first
everything worked great, but after about 3 days of continuous bridging,
my bridge machine died.  Approximately once a second, the message: "br:
memory squeeze!" would appear on the console.  Keyboard input was mostly
frozen, as well.  I could switch virtual consoles, but I couldn't type.
No traffic would pass through the bridge.  When I rebooted, everything
seemed fine.

I don't have a whole lot of memory on the bridge machine, but I feel
like it should be sufficient, since bridging is all it ever does and I
have plenty of swap space.  The system log doesn't should anything I
thought to be abnormal.  The memory squeeze messages were not logged.
Here's the output of /proc/meminfo:

        total:    used:    free:  shared: buffers:  cached:
Mem:  29655040 28917760   737280        0 13750272  6123520
Swap: 67104768   434176 66670592
MemTotal:        28960 kB
MemFree:           720 kB
MemShared:           0 kB