FW: [Bridge] Bridging and Ethernet FCS

Lewis Adam-CAL022 Adam.Lewis at motorola.com
Mon Aug 16 09:34:39 PDT 2004

(second retry -first was bounced due to jpg background)
 =

 Hello,
 =

I am trying to understand how the bridge code deals with the Ethernet FCS. =
 I have written a WLAN driver, and have tied it to eth0 via the bridge util=
ities.  What confuses me is that when my hard_start_xmit routine is called,=
 when it is receiving data from eth0, it comes complete with the FCS.  For =
a typical max length TCP packet, this puts the total frame length at 1504, =
which exceeds the 1500 Ethernet MTU.  So if my an unknowing driver takes th=
e full payload and sends it across the wireless link, where on the other si=
de it is passed back to Ethernet (also via the bridge code), it is discarde=
d since 1504 > MTU.  How is this situation typically dealt with?
 =

TIA,
Adam