[Bridge] BCP status

Eble, Dan DanE at aiinet.com
Tue Aug 24 05:44:48 PDT 2004

Peter,

First, my email address is dane at aiinet.com.

The status of the BCP code is that it is used in some Applied Innovation
products, but it is not a standard Linux feature because no one has
ported it to the newest versions of the kernel and pppd.  Also, a good
fellow named Matthew N. Dodd was also in touch with me several months
ago.  I do not know the status of BCP in his company's products, but you
should have no problem finding him with a web search engine.

The BCP state machine for PPPD was already a couple years old when I was
assigned to port it to our Linux-based products.  I believe it is based
on RFC 1638.  It did not support STP at all, so I added both the old RFC
1638 "Spanning-Tree-Protocol" option and the newer RFC 2878
"Management-Inline" option.  I do not remember making any other
significant additions.

Note that BCP is not directly relevant to the kernel bridge driver.  BCP
simply provides ethernet over PPP; whether to bridge or to route the
resulting network interface is up to you.

Regards,
--
Dan Eble <dane at aiinet.com>  _____  .
Software Engineer          |  _  |/|