[Bridge] Encrypting Bridge?

Josh Wyatt jdwyatt at joshua.raleigh.nc.us
Tue Aug 24 08:36:30 PDT 2004

Rene Bartsch wrote:
> On Di, 24.08.2004, 01:45, Francois Ambrosini sagte:
>
>>On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 10:31:26 -0700
>>Stephen Hemminger <shemminger at osdl.org> wrote:
>>
>>[snip]
>>
>>>The encrypting bridge isn't a bad idea, just not sure it is worth
>
> maintaining
>
>>>yet another VPN solution.
>>>

>>Greetings,
>>
>>IMHO, and in addition to what Rene Bartsch said, providing an encrypted
>
> tunnel at layer 2 can be really useful when it comes to bandwidth and/or
> latency matters.

There is already a tool to do layer-2 bridging with encryption.  Check out vtun:

http://vtun.sourceforge.net/

I use it a great deal to do layer-2 bridging.  It works with the kernel tun/tap
driver and works very well.  It can use TCP or UDP as the transport, offers
compression, etc.  Key management is up to you, however.

Thanks,
Josh