[Bridge] My hotmail login issue is fixed!!

kingz jzhang at cienettechnologies.com
Tue Dec 7 21:59:31 PST 2004

Hi All,

Today is a great day. My hotmail login error is fixed.

Following Peter's advice, I used e1000 card, don't change any MTU , the
hotmail login error went away! It is MTU issue, for VLAN tag traffice
going through the bridge, the NICs in the bridge  need support VLAN tag,
e100/e1000 card can.

Thanks to Peter, Stephen Hemminger, and All !

So far I know Intel e100/e1000 card can handle VLAN tag traffic,  Have
other brand/model Card support VLAN tag( or with patch) ? Any
experience?

I saw the following from  Ben's VLAN site:

I hear that the 2.2/2.4 kernel patches have worked with these (and
other, I'm sure) systems:
*	Cisco: {Catalyst: 6509}, 3Com: {Corebuilder, Netbuilder II,
SuperStack II switch 630}, Alpine: {3804(SMMi,F32Ti)} Extreme Ntwks
{Summit 48, 48i, 5i} Foundry: {ServerIronXL, FastIron}
*	Alteon ACENic Gigabit, 3Com 3c509, realtek RTL8029(AS), RTL8139,
DEC DC21140 (tulip), DFE-570TX quad-21143, Intel PRO/1000 with Intel's
driver

As my understanding, the above NICs can support VLAN tag, just same as
the e100/e1000 card,  the above also need some patch for VLAN tag,  e.g.
3Com 3c509,  RTL8139  can support ? also need a patch? In Ben's VLAN
page,
 I only found patches for some cards, others card need not a patch for
VLAN tag?

Any comments, experience?

Thanks!

Again thanks to Peter, ben, Stephen Hemminger, and All!

Best regards,
Kingz