[Bridge] Problems with briding on 2.4.24 Sparc64 kernel and bridge utils 0 .9.6

Small, Jim jim.small at eds.com
Mon Feb 2 08:37:29 PST 2004

I am running kernel 2.4.24/Sparc64 on my Ultra 60.  I also have the latest
version of the bridge utils - 0.9.6.

When I try to add a bridge though I get this:
# brctl addbr bridge0
# brctl addif bridge0 hme0
bridge bridge0 doesn't exist!
# brctl show
bridge name bridge id STP enabled interfaces
(No bridges shown)
# brctl addbr bridge0
device bridge0 already exists; can't create bridge with the same name

Note that the bridge module is loaded (viewable with lsmod).

I have 5 hme ports on my Ultra 60 (builtin + qfe) and I need really
bridging.  Please let me know if there is anything I can do to supply
more/better information.

My Hardware:  Ultra 60, 360MHz UltraSPARC II, 2GB RAM, 9 and 18GB SCSI HDDs,

builtin hme port, qfe card with 4 "hme" ports, SCSI-CDROM

Note that briding works in OpenBSD (with same machine described above)
albeit
slowly so it is not a hardware problem or limitation.

I would be happy to try things, just let me know what to do.

Also, please E-mail me replies.  I have attempted to join the list, but thus
far have not been admitted by the moderator.

Thanks--Jim