[Bridge] Bridge and PACKET-socket

Luke Gorrie luke at member.fsf.org
Mon Jan 5 15:50:40 PST 2004

Bart De Schuymer <bdschuym at pandora.be> writes:

> Well, if you're sending all IP packets to userspace I doubt that's faster than
> an ebtables kernel module...

Right, I forgot to mention that in this case it's only 802.3 frames
that I'm interested in. I expect to get very few packets, and don't
want to impact the performance of the other IP-based traffic.

Also, I've already implemented the protocol in userspace and don't
wanna move it into the kernel ;-)

> I don't know the details, but can't you hook some kernel function onto
> ETH_P_ALL that only sends IP packets to userspace?

This still sounds like packet-socket territory to me. Wouldn't it be
better to clarify/extend the packet-socket interface to cover bridged
ports?

-Luke