[Bridge] Re: Adding same physical port to multiple bridges

Stephen Hemminger shemminger at osdl.org
Wed Jan 28 10:01:06 PST 2004

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 17:10:43 -0800
Abhijit Kumbhare <abhijitk at nortelnetworks.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there any particular reason why the same physical port cannot be
> added to multiple bridges? Is it because of STP?

Not just STP, but all the data structures in the code are set up
1-N.  For example, there is a pointer in the netdevice structure that
contains the bridge to handle the received packet.  What would it mean
to be part of multiple bridges? Would received packets be process N times
by each bridge?

> If I am not using STP - can I change the code to have the same physical
> port in 2 VLANs? Is that a safe change?

Probably not. What are you trying to do?  Might to be bridge the
physical LAN and do any filtering based on tag using bridge-filtering
(ebtables).

Stephen Hemminger 		mailto:shemminger at osdl.org
Open Source Development Lab	http://developer.osdl.org/shemminger