[Bridge] Re: Bridge for linux

Karel Rericha karel at maxent.cz
Sat Jul 31 06:35:43 PDT 2004

Stephen Hemminger napsal(a):

>On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 22:27:43 +0200
>Xavier Van Laethem <xavier at xaviervl.com> wrote:
>

>>>From FAQ
>>

>It seems that hostap doesn't provide the same interface as normal ethernet card.
>One problem is that it doesn't forward packets between nodes connected to the
>same access point.  These are hostap problems, and should be fixed there, the bridge
>code shouldn't need to have special code for the hostap devices.

Hostap in master mode does forward packets between stations connected to
the same access point. This is
default behaviour. But alas, not always welcome (read "traffic
shaping"). It can be switched of by
iwpriv wlan0 bridge_packets 0
but after that no packets sourced from wlan0 arrive back to wlan0 if
this is bridged interface. Bridge code
doesn't allow this, even if these packets are destined to stations
connected to hostap. Stephen some time
ago suggested implementing "layered" hostap driver to overcome this, but
I don't know what does it mean.