[Bridge] Bridging vlans...

John W. Linville linville at tuxdriver.com
Thu Mar 25 18:32:58 PST 2004

Again, I'm no expert.  I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong, blah
blah blah...

To start, I think you should be using ebtables rather than iptables.  As
I understand things, the ebtables stuff works at Layer-2.

I guess your purpose is to log untagged packets?  Are packets belonging
to VLAN interfaces visible to the parent interface? (It seems intuitive
that they would not be, but I really don't know.)  If not, then
something like what you propose below should work (given ebtables
instead of iptables).  If the VLAN packets ARE visible on the parent
interface, then you will need to do some additional checking to make
sure that the frames are actually untagged.  You may want to do this
anyway so as to differentiate between untagged frames and frames tagged
for an "unknown" VLAN.

Again, hth... :-)

John