[Bridge] Sparc Bridge problems

D at 7 at k|N& dataking at cox.net
Sun Mar 21 20:34:56 PST 2004

Hey guys!

I'm having a little trouble with a sprc bridge setup.  I am running SuSe 7.3 for sparc on a Sun Ultra1 Creator3D.
I compiled 2.4.25 kernel with 802.1d Ethernet Bridging support, and installed
bridge-utils 0.9.6.  I've read all of the documentation that I could find (Bridging FAQ and
Bridging HOWTO).  But I still get the following errors:

brctl addbr br0
brctl addif br0 eth0
bridge br0 doesn't exist!

Why not?

brctl addbr br0
device br0 already exists; can't create bridge with the same name

I've found on other mailing-lists that sparc systems require the bridge-utils64 package, but can only find it for Debian.

Any thoughts on what's going on here?  If I compiled the utils from source, shouldn't they be the right ones for my system/kernel?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Charlie