[Bridge] bridge latency

Eicke Friedrich tady at gmx.net
Sun May 16 01:49:18 PDT 2004

Hi list,

we did an investigation of a firewalling Linux bridge in terms of
latency and throughput using DAG 3.5E interfaces for precise
timestamping of ip packets [1]. The overall results are very good but
one fact we can't explain. The following URL points to an image of
such an measuring where we push 60MBits/s TCP traffic through the
bridge in one direction:
http://kea.informatik.uni-leipzig.de/ipp2p/delay/color_60e_plain_out.png

If you look at the image you'll see the max line showing regular (one
per minute) spikes. I've absolutly no idea where these spikes may come
from. So I want to ask you, if you could imagine a reason for these
spikes? These are only few packets but for us it's important to find
out why they get sometimes delayed this much longer.

Some background about the bridging box:
Hardware:
Pentium4 1.7GHz, 1.024MB RAM, 2 x 3Com 3c905 [Boomerang] being br0,
3Com 3c905B as management interface.

Software:
vanilla Linux Kernel 2.6.3 with patched in CONNMARK extension, STP was
disabled

Other:
The bridge was running in plain mode wich means no other modules like
iptables, ebtables or packet scheduler were loaded. It was running in
runlevel 3, multiuser networking without x-system.

For comparison only this link shows what happens if we push as much
TCP traffic in one direction (~97.5 MBits/s) through the bridge having
iptables loaded:
http://kea.informatik.uni-leipzig.de/ipp2p/delay/color_max_ipp2p_120c_delay-0.png

Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions!

Cheers,
Eicke

[1] Endace Measurement Systems: http://www.endace.com/