[Bridge] Re: [Ebtables-user] ebtables rules dont work

Bart De Schuymer bdschuym at pandora.be
Mon May 24 12:02:12 PDT 2004

On Sunday 23 May 2004 11:44, monade at freenet.de wrote:
> Hello,<br>
> i have some problems with testing the ebtables on my machine.<br>
> It's a Vanilla Kernel 2.6.5 and I selected:<br>
> - [*] 802.1d Ethernet Bridging<br>
> - Netfilter iptables option  <br>
> and all ebtables options to compile new for a bridge machine.<br>
> This works sucesfully and i installed ebtables v2.0.6.<br>
> Now my Problem is that all packets will be Droped in the Forward Chain.<br>
> It makes the appearance that it's unimportant wich rule i use.<br>
> Here my very simple rule Setup only for testing:<br>
> ebtables -P FORWARD DROP<br>
> ebtables -P INPUT DROP<br>
> ebtables -P OUTPUT DROP<br>
> ebtables -A FORWARD -p IPv4 --ip-proto tcp --ip-sport 80 -j ACCEPT <br>
> When i use iptables for filtering i can/must see the same effect. <br>

I don't exactly understand what your question is, but not all traffic that
passes through the ebtables INPUT chain passes through the iptables INPUT
chain. Only locally destined traffic (according to the IP destination
address) goes through the iptables INPUT chain. Likewise, not all traffic
that goes through the ebtables OUTPUT chain goes through the iptables OUTPUT
chain. See http://ebtables.sourceforge.net/br_fw_ia/br_fw_ia.html for more
details.

cheers,
Bart