[Bridge] Very strange hotmail login error!

kingz jzhang at cienettechnologies.com
Sun Nov 21 18:20:55 PST 2004

Hi All,

Very sorry for posting my question again, because I want to tell you
more details on my issue, and it is very important for us!
Now I am having trouble in Ethernet bridge and 802.1Q VLAN, I have the
following network:
   Internet

  Gateway ( One UPNP device)

       |    <---------  If insert one Ethernet bridge box in here ,
somethings changes

     H u b    ( one normal hub or switch , no VLAN settings)
      |   \
      |     \
  D-Link  802.1Q VLAN Switches (their uplink port-port 1  connected to
the upper hub are tagged, those ports connected with PCs are untagged).
Our client PCs connect to these VLAN Switches, they access Internet
through that UPNP gateway, It works all OK; Every PC connects to one
untagged port in a 802.1Q VLAN Switch , this untagged port and the
tagged  uplink port (e.g. port 1) make up of one VLAN,  the tagged port
1 is a common uplink port , So from the gateway we can see these VLAN ID
of PCs;  but when I insert one Ethernet bridge box ( one linux box,
kernel 2.4.26, ebtables-brnf-6_vs_2.4.26 patch) between the gateway and
the Hub, somethings changed:
I was not able to log  in hotmail, maybe also on certain websites.
For example, I access  www.hotmail.com <http://www.hotmail.com/> , it
loads OK. When I input my account, and hit Login, it goes to a error
page(DNS error or server not found)  after a moment.
Except the above site, maybe also have others, but most sites work fine,
very strange!
I am sure that this Linux Ethernet bridge is only  transparent bridge,
no any Iptables filter and rule.
If I have no this Ethernet bridge, it works fine, no hotmail login
error.
If I remove the tag for VLAN(just change the port 1 to untagged),  also
with this Linux Ethernet bridge it works all OK, also have no hotmail
login error. Very strange, it as if the issue is on VLAN , tag, or Linux
Ethernet  bridge , I have no idea of it now!
I am stuck here now!
Any help, comments, hints would be greatly appreciated!
If you need more info on it, please let me know soon!
Thanks!
Note: The UPNP box can act as a universal gateway for these PCs under
it, no matter what their IP are, maybe a dynamic IP, or any fixed IP.
Kingz