[Bridge] Problem with bridge/8139too module under 2.4.27?

Mark Cave-Ayland m.cave-ayland at webbased.co.uk
Mon Nov 15 02:29:48 PST 2004

Hi there,

I'm currently experiencing a minor problem using the bridge module under
kernel 2.4.27 part of the Devil Linux distribution
(http://www.devil-linux.org). The problem I am having is that when the
bridge is unloaded during a reboot I receive the following errors in
/var/log/messages:

Nov 14 13:22:13 src at Devil kernel: unregister_netdevice: waiting for br0 to
become free. Usage count = 2

This message is repeatedly output to the console until I manually go and
power cycle it. I've traced this through the startup/shutdown scripts, and
have determine that the problem exists in the following sequence of
commands:

brctl addbr br0
brctl addif br0 eth0
brctl addif br0 eth1
ifconfig eth0 up
ifconfig eth1 up

ifconfig eth0 down
ifconfig eth1 down
brctl delif eth0
brctl delif eth1
brctl delbr br0   <------ This is where the problem occurs

The machine running the kernel is a brouter with 4 NICs all running under
the 8139too driver - eth0 and eth1 form a bridge while eth2 and eth3 are
connected to different internal networks. I'm guessing that this is either a
problem with the bridge or 8139too modules, and so any advice would be
gratefully received :)

Many thanks,

Mark.

WebBased Ltd