[Bridge] Re: Problem in changed VLAN code can cause systems to hang.

Mark Ruijter bridge at siennax.com
Thu Sep 9 08:54:22 PDT 2004

shemminger at osdl.org wrote:
>>On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 15:16:33 +0200
>>Mark Ruijter <bridge at siennax.com> wrote:
>>

>>>I noticed that the VLAN code of kernels >=2.6.8 contain the patch needed
>>>to mirror link state information from the real device to the vlan
>>>device.
>>>
>>>This however causes the system to hang in combination with net-snmpd.
>>>The last thing that I see is an ioctl(0x8947...
>>
>>What kind of ethernet devices do you have making use of VLAN?
>

> I suspect the underlying device doesn't support mii interface.
> If that is true, then the code is doing the right thing (and net-snmp)
> is being too dependant on MII.

Stephen,

The production system that I use went down completely on this bug.
My laptop didn't go down but it became unstable. (ifconfig -a would
freeze etc.).

net-snmp is not the problem, it just shows it.

However when I type :
mii-tool eth0
SIOCGMIIPHY on 'eth0' failed: Operation not supported

This is the case for all interfaces in the production machine as well as
my laptop.

So you're right about the not supported mii interface. But my point is
that it shouldn't be possible to make the system unstable with an ioctl.

Mark.