[Bridge] Re: Linux Bridging

Stephen Hemminger shemminger at osdl.org
Wed Apr 13 10:09:51 PDT 2005

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 10:50:15 +0100
"Andre Santos \(Ecofilmes\)" <andre.santos at ecofilmes.pt> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I want to have a computer betwen the internet and the network to see the trafic and control.
> I used windows, but its somehow limited, and want to try linux...
> I installed Fedora linux in server mode, and now Im trying to put 2 nics in bridge.
>
> First, I tried to do like this (the first part):
> http://www.sjdjweis.com/linux/bridging/ <BLOCKED::http://www.sjdjweis.com/linux/bridging/>
>
> It didnt worked..
> I did  brctl show and not bridge configured...
>
> Then I enabled all the services I turned off from this article again.
>
> In the file    /etc/sysctl.conf:
> I Xchanged the 0 to 1 ..  net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1
>

> In the console I wrote:
>  ifconfig eth0 0.0.0.0 up
>  ifconfig eth1 0.0.0.0 up
>  brctl addbr br0
>  brctl addif br0 eth0
>  brctl addif br0 eth1
>  ifconfig br0 X.X.X.X netmask 255.255.255.0
>
> For testing I put  Workstation -> Hub -> Bridge -> network
> I want to see if bridge works, if the workstation has to be able to ping the network its working.
>
> I can ping server from the linux , but from the computer behim bridge to network it cant ping, and the conection is limited, cant get ip.

Fid you wait for the STP status to change to forwarding?
It has to go through a learning period first.

What is the output of 'brctl showstp br0'

> Tried to instal, bridge-utils-1.0.4.tar , ran configure  and config.status in console and install-sh in the folder but, I dont know if it had any effect.. as Im a newie at linux.
> The location  /bridge-utils-1.0.4/    dont know if I had to put in some other folder...

Latest is 1.0.5

If you do:
	./configure
	make
You will build the utilities.
Then you need to run
	make install
as root.  By default it puts the new brctl in /usr/local/sbin/brctl

You can figure out what version is running by doing 'brctl -V'
Also, unless you have problems, I recommend starting with the bridge-utilities
included with your linux distribution. The utilities have been stable long enough
that little changes.