[BRIDGE]A basic question: what's the relationship of the Rx/Tx packets count between the bridge and its enslaved NIC.

Stephen Hemminger shemminger at osdl.org
Wed Aug 17 09:21:32 PDT 2005

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 11:40:40 +0800
Steven Zhang <zhangseven at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a bridge br0, it enslaves two NICs: eth0 and eth1.
> By using "cat /proc/net/dev ", i can see the Rx/Tx packets and bytes
> through each interface. just like this:

> I wonder the meaning of the value of the br0,  it's Rx/Tx packets is
> less than both eth0 and eth1.
> what's the relationship of the values between bridge and it's enslaved NIC?

The pseudo-device br0 is used for locally generated traffic

There will be several possible flows through a bridge:

Traffic going from
	eth0 to eth1 will increase eth0:Rx and eth1:Tx
	eth1 to eth0               eth1:Rx     eth0:Tx
Locally transmits to eth0          br0:Tx  and eth0:Tx
Locally received via eth0          br0:Rx  and eth0:Rx

Also, packets generated locally with unknown destination
will be flooded to both eth0 and eth1.

You get the idea