[Bridge] Question about VLANs, bridges and switches

Jeff Gercken JeffG at kizan.com
Fri Aug 26 09:31:26 PDT 2005

If you take a network and divide it into two vlans the idea is you're
creating two distinct network spaces on one physical network.  Logically
they are independent even though they use the same wires.  By bridging
them together you join the two at layer2 effectively undoing all the
benefits gained by creating the vlans.  You really want to connect the
vlans at layer3 (routing).

-Jeff