[Bridge] Re: Problems using kernel 2.6

Stephen Hemminger shemminger at osdl.org
Fri Feb 18 10:32:04 PST 2005

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 08:21:56 +0100
"Marc Juette" <m.juette at fox-netcenter.de> wrote:

> Hello, I´m writing to you, because i´ve had the same problem with SuSE 9.2 and bridging. I tested a few setting (bridging as module, bridging compiled within Kernel...), but nothing matched. So I decided to install 9.1 and test again. And wow, it worked with only a few command lines:
>
> required:
> -SuSE 9.1 minimal installation
> -become root
>
> commands:
> yast -i bridge-utils
> ifconfig eth0 0.0.0.0
> ifconfig eth1 0.0.0.0
> brctl addbr br0
> brctl addif br0 eth0
> brctl addif br0 eth1
> ifconfig br0 up
>
> So it seems to be a bug in 9.2, but i´ve no time to figure out yet.
> I hope this helps. I will test some new Kernel on these settings the next days. If you´re intreseted about results, let me know, i will send you my logs, or everything that will help you.

First, make sure that devices are not being automatically started by system at startup or hot-plug.
Go in with Yast and make sure eth0 and eth1 are configured to start manually.
Then use a script to setup the bridge (as per above).

I haven't looked at what sort of initialization Suse does for bridges through Yast,
because every distro is different.

When you say it doesn't work, what do you mean, system crashes? packets aren't bridged? devices aren't up?

What you should look at is the output of brctl status commands.
Best to wait till after the initial learning period and do:
 brctl show br0
 brctl showstp br0
 brctl showmacs br0