[Bridge] Bridge Utils & 2.6.7 Kernel

Stephen Hemminger shemminger at osdl.org
Mon Jan 3 10:42:37 PST 2005

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 16:59:37 -0500
Rajashekhar Mansanpally <raj at roinet.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> I am trying to get bridging working with 2.6.7 kernel.
> I have noticed quite a few additions to the bridge code, last one I used
> was with 2.4.x series, most importantly Sysfs.

sysfs support for bridge may not have been available to 2.6.8
Look for net/bridge/br_sysfs_br.c in source.

> Can someone tell me what I need to do to enable sysfs support ?

Sysfs is enabled in the kernel (unless you configure it for embedded and turn off sysfs).
There needs to be an entry in mount table /etc/mtab to mount it. All 2.6 based
distro's mount it in /sys.  The bridge-utils configure tries to figure out
if you have libsysfs to access it.  Early 2.6 distro's did not have a package
for it, so you may have to download it and build it.

> I did not find the bridge module in /sys directory structure even after
> adding couple of interfaces to the bridge. Is there anything
> else I need to do?

The bridge shows up as /sys/class/net/br0/bridge and /sys/class/net/eth0/brif/