[Bridge] bridge in 'hub' mode possible?

Jody Belka lists-bridging at pimb.org
Tue Jan 18 17:33:17 PST 2005

On Fri, Dec 03, 2004 at 11:48:35AM -0500, Roman Chertov wrote:
> > I wonder if it would be worth to introduce some kind of "monitor
> > interface" for a brigde (as can be found on switches, don't know if
> > "monitor port" would be the correct term for it).
> >
> I have already made one for the 2.4.20 kernel module and the 1.0.4
> bridge-utils.  Since I was making this for the Emulab testbed I also had
> to change the src/dst MACs that were going to the tap; otherwise, the
> underlying switch would drop the mirrored packets as their MAC's were
> not registered on the VLAN where the tap sat.
>
> If people have any interest in this I can share with the code.

I'd be interested in something like this. Maybe something along the lines of:

brctl addtap <bridge> <device>    # only allow 1 tap? i'd guess so, but if not
brctl deltap <bridge>             # then add a <device> param to deltap

This would be very useful for me, as it would make hooking up snort
to a linux bridge very nice and easy.

Jody Belka
knew (at) pimb (dot) org