[Bridge] bridge psudeo vlan interface problem

Peter S F Luk isfluk at ine.cuhk.edu.hk
Sat Jan 29 07:36:36 PST 2005

Dear all,

I'm do some experiment of vlan bridging with Linux Fedore core 3 with a 3com 3c905 NIC

The config is as below:

vlan 3             vlan 4

        +-------+
eth0.3  |Linux  | eth0.4
--------|       |----
        +-------+

and I would like to bridge b/w vlan 3 and 4 using the fc3 linux box. Gateway :
192.168.1.254 is located at vlan3

The 3c905 NIC is connected to a trunk port of a cisco 2950 switch.

The command is used is :

#modprobe 8021Q
#vconfig add eth0 3
#vconfig add eth0 4
#brctl addbr br0
#brctl addif br0 eth0.3
#brctl addif br0 eth0.4
#ifconfig br0 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 up

There's no error but the bridge doesn't work. Hosts in vlan 4 can't communicate with hosts in vlan 3 and vice vera. The bridge can't ping the default gw either.

Can any one give adivse if this can be done or not ??

[PS: I have tried with 2 NICs and each connected to a vlan and the brdige work without any problem)

Thanks a lot.

Rgds.
Peter