[Bridge] Re: [Bridge-utils] some feedback with kernel 2.6.12 FC4

Stephen Hemminger shemminger at osdl.org
Fri Jul 22 11:51:36 PDT 2005

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 16:54:06 +0200
Christophe GRANSART <christophe.gransart at inrets.fr> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Some feedback about bridge-utils on FC4 :
>
> i tried bridge-utils 1.0.4 and 1.0.6 on FC4 2.6.12-1.1398_FC4
> On a dell D800
> With eth0 : Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5705M Gigabit Ethernet
> and ath0 : DLink DWL-AG650 driver madwifi
>
> On both 1.0.4 and 1.0.6, my system freezes after 30 - 60 sec after
> the bridge is up (even with promisc mode on both ath0 and eth0).
>
> When eth0 and ath0 are up, they are both on irq 11.
> Is this a parameter to change?
>
> Regards,
> Christophe

It is almost certainly not a utilities issue.  The command does almost
nothing but setup the bridge.  Most times when whole system freezes, it
is a panic. If you are running X windows the kernel is unable to display
output, so you either need to add a serial console (and another system
to capture the output) or the virtual terminal 0 console to avoid X
running (ALT-F1).