[Bridge] Bridge Control using sysfs and Spinlocks

Jonathan Chambers` chamber_j at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 18 05:23:46 PDT 2005

I am attempting to change the bridge kernel module so that I have complete
control over the port states from user space via sysfs.

On code inspection I can see that whenever a reconfiguration of the bridge
itself is made, i.e. ageing time, forward delay, hello time, etc. then there
is a spin_lock_bh before the reconfiguration and a spin_unlock_bh after
reconfiguration.

However, when a reconfiguration of a bridge PORT is made e.g. path cost,
priority then the spin lock mechanism is not used. Is this correct
operation? (The old ioctl method uses spin locks on bridge port
reconfiguration, whereas I am reconfiguring via sysfs)

If I am to change the bridge module to accept requests to change the port
state should I be using the spin locks?

Thanks in advance

Jon Chambers.