[Bridge] device eth0 is already a member of a bridge; can't enslave it to bridge Net6

Tim Keupen timbub at uni-koblenz.de
Mon Oct 31 02:04:32 PST 2005

Hello,
I am working on Network-Simulation (VNUML). Our simulator uses linux bridgi=
ng to connect the UMLs.
So there is one problem:
The example is the following: There are two hosts simulating one big net.
The two hosts have connection over the external nets Net3 and Net6 (see htt=
p://www.uni-koblenz.de/~timbub/verteilteSim3.GIF), but in fact there is onl=
y one physical connection between the host: connected through a switch an e=
ach host has one interface card eth0. (so normaly you should bind the ip ad=
resses related Net3 and to Net6 to the eth0 and it already is part of the t=
wo nets - even if there is one phsical connection)

So my virtual nets are implemented by linux bridges. But if I now connect t=
he physical interface eth0 to the bridge Net3 and then to Net6 the followin=
g error occurs: "device eth0 is already a member of a bridge; can't enslave=
 it to bridge Net6" =

Is this a bug or a feature? Why is it not allowed to bind an Interface to t=
wo different bridges? =

Is there a workaround for this issue?

Problem: =

UML1 ---- bridge1  \