[Bridge] No UDP NFS over bridges in Linux 2.6.16.x?

Chris Rankin rankincj at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 14 06:42:20 PDT 2006

Hi,

I have 2 servers which are connected to a gateway machine. The gateway and one server are running
Linux 2.6.16.2, while the third machine is running 2.6.16.5. The two ethernet ports on the gateway
which are connected to the servers are combined into a single ethernet bridge device.

Ever since 2.6.16, I have noticed that I can no longer cross-mount the two servers' /home
directories via UDP NFS. Which is to say that the mount command succeeds, but that trying to
access the filesystem makes the process hang and the "NFS server not responding" message to appear
in the console log. This is true regardless of which machine is the NFS server and which is the
NFS client.

It all works fine if I use TCP NFS instead.

Also, UDP NFS works OK between any server and the gateway itself, so it only goes wrong when UDP
NFS traffic is forwarded across the bridge. (I have not changed my firewall rules, which just tell
the gateway to forward all traffic coming in from the bridge device anyway.)

Can anyone reproduce this, please? I obviously have a workaround (using TCP instead of UDP) but it
sounds like there's a bug somewhere.

Cheers,
Chris