[Bridge] Re: Rapid Spanning Tree support

Stephen Hemminger shemminger at osdl.org
Wed Apr 5 09:09:23 PDT 2006

Added bridge mailing list to RSTP discussion.

On Wed, 5 Apr 2006 11:29:42 -0400
"Miller Seth-G19426" <seth.miller at motorola.com> wrote:

> That's an approach we were considering as well using
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/rstplib/. Was this what you were
> planning to start with or did you want to pull the code out of the
> kernel? We're willing to work with you getting the user space app
> working and any of the infrastructure changes as well. The plan would be
> to put all this work back into the community. We're also interested in
> adding 802.1s Multiple spanning tree.

I was going to leave existing STP in kernel for now, but not enable it.
For 2.6.17, I made sure that  STP packets are received so application
can receive them (via LLC).

The next part would be adding a netlink interface to bridge module
to report and modify:
	* interface added/deleted from bridge
	* interface status change (carrier up/down)
	* interface forwarding enable/disable
	* forwarding table flush by interface.