[Bridge] physical interface on a bridge

Jørgen Hovland jorgen at hovland.cx
Thu Feb 23 00:39:18 PST 2006

(sorry about the empty last email)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephen Hemminger" <shemminger at osdl.org>

> On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 09:42:49 +0100
> Jørgen Hovland <jorgen at hovland.cx> wrote:
>
>> So there is no way to get the physical interface from a mac address?
>
> You can read the forwarding database (see brctl sources for how).
> But the value can change as result of traffic.

I did actually look at the code before I emailed the list. Sorry if I am
missing something, but a fdb_entry maps a hardware address to a port number.
This arbitary port number points to the port_info structure which seems to
only hold information about what bridge it belongs to. And the bridge_info
structure doesn't contain any information either.
The only place I can find something that might be useful is in
linux/netdevice.h and the "struct net_bridge_port  *br_port" under the
net_device structure. This is inside the kernel as it needs __KERNEL__
defined in order to use it, or is this what I am looking for?

Thank you once again

Joergen