[Bridge] Source IP Modified on Broadcast Packet Through Bridge

Jason Alpers jasealpers at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 12:50:11 PST 2006

I am encountering a problem where the source address on broadcast packets
seems to be altered to the local IP by the bridge netfilter.  The details on
the issue are documented here
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-420158-highlight-.html.  As a
workaround to this issue, I have disabled the bridge netfilter through the
proc filesystem with:

echo "0" > /proc/sys/net/bridge/bridge-nf-call-iptables

This workaround stops the source address of the broadcast packets from being
altered.  However, it also precludes a firewall on the bridge adapter.
Based on http://lists.osdl.org/pipermail/bridge/2005-January/000804.html, it
seems that another workaround is to remove the iptable_nat module.

Has this been identified as a bug?

As I'm not subscribed to the list, please cc me on response.

Thanks again,

--Jase