[Bridge] Some newbe questions

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Fri Jun 30 04:59:10 PDT 2006

[desktop] ----- lan ----eth0 [notebook] eth1
                  192.168.?.?           ` ----- wlan ---- [speedport(hub and router)] -- internet
					           192.168.2.x

So on my laptop I have eth0 beeing lan, eth1 beeing wlan ethernet card.

When only using eth0/1  everything is fine.
Now I want to be able to use internet from both [desktop] and
[notebook].

Typically you set up a bridge with

brctl addbr br1
brctl addif br1 eth0
brctl addif br1 eth1
ifconfig eth0 0.0.0.0 up
ifconfig eth1 0.0.0.0 up
ifconfig br1 up
, right?

When do I have to set the iwconfig settings? (Web password, essid?)
When I also want use the internet (connect to desktop via vnc) from the
notebook I have to assign an ip to the bridge, correct?
ifconfig br1 192.168.x.y up

eth1 connects to lan having ips of from 192.168.2.x
Because I want to connect from desktop to speedport (using the bridge)
This network (192.168.?.?) has to be 192.168.2.x, too. Correct?

Can you recommend a networking documentation which explains these
things?

Marc