[Bridge] Bridging a virtual machine(QEMU) to the LAN

Arie Bant abant at mail.com
Wed May 10 07:08:07 PDT 2006

Dear all,

I have a problem I could use a little help with.
I have a virtual PC (QEMU 0.8.0+CVS) in my Linux (Mandrake 10.2) box.
The linux bridging runs, with br0 containing eth0 (the physical Ethernet
interface) and tap0, the virtual interface to the VM.
I also have Shorewall (v2.0.17) running.
I assumed that the level 2 bridging would come before the
firewalling/netfiltering.
What happens is that I can ping the host computer from the VM, as well
as any address outside the local zone in Shorewall. conversely I can
ping the VM from the host, but not from other computers in the same zone.
When I run Shorewall with clean tables all works fine.
The Shorewall documentation says to use the "routeback" attribute on the
bridge interface, but that can only be done when the interface connects
to only one zone, which it does not.
On a second machine, without Shorewall, it works as expected, no problem.

A apologise if this problem has already been solved before, I have
searched for it through Google without success.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Arie.