[Bridge] Problems with Bridging 3 pc's network

Stephen Hemminger shemminger at osdl.org
Mon Nov 6 08:41:14 PST 2006

Filippo Graziola wrote:
> Hi sir,
> I'm a student of Trento University and I'm working on
> a network
> project. I need to create a network like this:
>
> PC.1>--ethernet cable-->MAIN_PC(ubuntu
> linux)>------wireless----->PC.2
>
> PC.1 ip: 192.168.0.1
> MAIN_PC ip: 192.168.0.2
> PC.2 ip: 192.168.0.3
> netmask 255.255.255.0
>
> I followed the instruction of the HOWTO and I made a
> bridge on MAIN_PC.
> Previously I set the wireless interface (eth0 - intel
> 2200B/G) with
> ad-hoc mode and I gave it a essid and a channel.
> Without the bridge I can
> ping from MAIN_PC all the others but I noticed that
> when the bridge is
> up I can't ping from the PC.2 the PC.1 (problem nr°1)
> and I can ping
> from PC.2 the MAIN_PC only for a short start time
> (problem nr°2).
>
> When I give this command as root:
>
> echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

1. You are Bridging (layer 2) not Routing (layer 3).

2. Bridging ethernet to wireless doesn't work in most cases because wireless
    bridging requires NDS support which is not in the bridge code, and
would also
    require different wireless device drivers (using softmac).

See the FAQ on http://linux-net.osdl.org/index.php/Bridge