[Bridge] Passing vlan tagged packets through linux bridge

Lutz Jaenicke ljaenicke at innominate.com
Mon Nov 27 04:31:03 PST 2006

On Sat, Nov 25, 2006 at 10:04:23PM -0800, kasra kangavari wrote:
> Dear Roman
>
>  If I don't use trunk over linux bridges(packets without vlan tag) then I can ping more than 1500bytes(MTU).the problem is vlan tagged packets. r u sure about jumbo frames that solve this problem ?

Did you have a look at the MTUs of the interfaces? If you need to
support VLAN tagged frames, at least the physical interfaces
need to accept frames with additional 4 bytes on the wire.
If this is not handled in the driver the 1500+ETH+VLAN-frames will
already be dropped (not even be received) at the physical interfaces.
You may have to allow an MTU of 1504 for this reason.

Regards,
	Lutz
--
Dr.-Ing. Lutz Jänicke
CTO

Visit us at the SPS/IPC/Drives in Nuernberg

28 - 30 November 2006, Hall 9, Stand 9-125