[Bridge] STP Loop not blocking

Jake Farrell jake at amperion.com
Wed Jan 24 10:46:48 PST 2007

The setup is as follows

ixp4xx #1:  br0 (eth0, eth1, ath0, ath1) STP enabled
                  |                 |
                  |                 |
                  |                 |
ixp4xx #2:  br0 (eth0, eth1, ath0, ath1) STP enabled

with 2.6.16 one of the interfaces goes to blocking and the other is left to=
 forward. In 2.6.18 the interfaces always stay forwarding.

Jake

> Recently ran into a problem with the 2.6.18 kernel on Xscale arch when =

> a bridge, with multiple interfaces on it, is configured with a =

> redundant loop. All interfaces are left on forwarding and nexer switch =

> to block when the loop is introduced. This was tested against a 2.6.16 =

> kernel and the problem did not occur, interfaces forwared and blocked =

> correctly. Any help would be appreciated.

Since you haven't give much detail on your setup (is stp enabled on both =

bridges, for example), I'm not 100% clear what may be happening.  But it =

does sound like something I ran into before.

See my post, and Stephen's reply:
http://lists.osdl.org/pipermail/bridge/2006-December/001573.html

Cam