[Bridge] Trouble with bridged interfaces

Roman Lisagor RLisagor at wurldtech.com
Fri Jun 15 16:24:56 PDT 2007

Hi Stephen,

We are doing this for a network testing product. Our box sits between
two devices (e.g. one connected to eth0 and one to eth1) which
communicate with each other, so we bridge the two interfaces to maintain
communication between the two sides. One of the devices (connected to
eth0) is under test so we need to send and receive traffic to and from
that device and want to be sure that none of the _test_ traffic is also
going to eth1. Raw sockets are used to create the traffic on eth0.

In most cases this works well, but in some cases (which are very
difficult to reproduce or determine the pattern for) we see incoming
packets on the bridge instead of the interface.

Also, what do you mean when you say that addresses are not assigned to
interfaces? (Isn't that the result of running "ifconfig ethX
ip.ip.ip.ip"?)

Thanks again,
Roman.