[Bridge] Rx Buffer sizes on e1000

Leigh Sharpe lsharpe at pacificwireless.com.au
Mon Nov 12 21:30:25 PST 2007

Hi All,
 I have a box with 24 e1000 cards in it. They are configured as 12
bridges, each with 2 ports.
I have found that when the total traffic on the box gets to around
100Mbps or so, it starts dropping packets.
As far as I can tell, it's related to the amount of traffic per card,
rather than the total throughput on the box. (I'm using 6 x 4-port
ethernet cards.).

My best guess at this point is that the receive buffers are either too
small, or not being emptied quickly enough. (NAPI is enabled.).
Can anybody give me any ideas on where to look for issues?
And how can I change the size of the receive buffers? Is it just a
kernel paramater, or do I need to re-compile?
CPU utilisation is hovering around 50%, and load average is consistently
under 0.1, so I don't beleive I'm looking at a CPU bottleneck.

Any other ideas?

Regards,
             Leigh

Leigh Sharpe