[Bridge] Arp & Bridge

David Martin dmartin at mediatvcom.com
Wed Sep 19 07:32:26 PDT 2007

here is my bridge config :
Let say br0 containing eth0 and eth1, with br0 IP adress is 192.168.0.10

For some reasons, I would like to be able to send packet from the bridge =

machine, only via a specific device.
Thus, I set IP adress for eth0 and eth1 (let's say 192.168.0.11 and =

192.168.0.12).
I know a bridge is not supposed to have IP adress on the interfaces..
 ___________________________
| br0 (192.168.0.10)                |

wire --------------------- 192.168.0.1
|  +---   eth1  (192.168.0.12)   ----------------------------ethernet =

wire --------------------- 192.168.0.254

But when I try to send packet's from only one device, it does not work.
ie : ping -I eth0 192.168.0.1  gives no response.

I noticed that arp are sent and received by eth1, but they are of course =

received by br0 too.
So the arp table is completed for br0 but not for eth1...

The question is :
Why does br0 update the arp table, but eth1 doesnt? how is the arp table =

are updated? eth1 is the one sending the request!
Is there any mean to solve that?