[Bridge] USB device for Layer 2 Wireless Bridge

Peter Valdemar Mørch 4ux6as402 at sneakemail.com
Fri Apr 25 03:04:44 PDT 2008

Peter Mørch wrote:
> Bridging with wireless apparently is not trivial with linux as "Many
> wireless cards don't allow spoofing of the source address" according

http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/Net:Bridge#It_doesn.27t_work_with_my_Wireless_card.21

To which Becskei Robert replied:
> I did it and it still works bridging with linux + 2 wireless pairs.
>
> See my guide
> http://www.linuxhelp.net/forums/Channel_Bonding_load_balancing_t8478.html
> ,
>
> the important part was
>
> NOTE : I've had a hell of time making the 2 wireless links work
> together nicely, in order to make them work in a bonding scenario
> like this, I had to enable a certain option called MAC ADDRESS
> CLONING, and had to use different SSID , and different CHANNEL.

Please excuse my ignorance, but doesn't the above link assume
that brctl and ifconfig will work bridging wireless and ethernet?

I could not get a bridge between my wireless (using the ipw3945 driver)
and eth0 interfaces to work.

As I read
http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/Net:Bridge#It_doesn.27t_work_with_my_Wireless_card.21

it seems to me bridging wireless and ethernet won't work in the most
common cases. Is that true at least?

I would really like to create a layer 2 bridge between my ethernet and
wireless networks, but right now have no clue how to continue... brctl
and ifconfig did not work for me with my hardware... Any help or
enlightenment appreciated!

Peter
--
Peter Valdemar Mørch